William Osler Health System’s (Osler) newly-released Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) for 2019-2020 outlines its priorities for continued improvements in the areas of patient and staff experience and care in Brampton and Etobicoke hospitals. Osler’s QIP is developed in consultation with patients, families, staff, physicians and community partners to identify areas of focus for the organization.
Osler’s work toward improving the patient experience, health outcomes, and access and flow was highlighted in the report, along with the Fall 2018 launch of an innovative, same day orthopaedic discharge surgery program that provides high-quality, safe, patient-centred care and improves wait times.
“Osler’s QIP supports our continuous efforts to use evidence-based practices to provide the best care possible,” said Dr Naveed Mohammad, Executive Vice President, Quality, Medical and Academic Affairs, Osler. “We are continuously streamlining our processes and implementing new and innovative ways to reduce wait times and enhance the patient experience through more timely and efficient transitions. And, we know that these improvements also have a broader, positive impact throughout the local health care system.”
In the year ahead, Osler will focus on the following five areas for improvement:
- Streamline processes and implement innovative ways to reduce wait time and enhance the patient experience through more timely and efficient transitions.
- Improve identification and reporting of pressure injuries in patients upon admission and during their stay in the hospital.
- Focus on developing a healthy and safe workplace that empowers people to report workplace violence incidents as they arise.
- Empower patients with information so they know what to do if worried about their condition after leaving the hospital.
- Review and document patients’ medication history before they leave our hospitals to ensure all medications are safely prescribed.
Osler’s full 2019-2020 Quality Improvement Plan and the 2018-2019 QIP Progress Report are available on www.williamoslerhs.ca.