The Town of Caledon has partnered with the Palgrave Rotary Club to provide a fully inclusive and accessible play and gathering place for seniors, families and individuals with special needs. Newly renovated Norma Bangay Park, formerly Westview Park, was unveiled at a ceremony May 28.
Derek Clark, of the Palgrave Rotary Club, led a ceremony attended by children from nearby Palgrave elementary schools, members of the White Birch day programme, residents, town officials and Rotary members. Included in the celebration were the official park renaming and National AccessAbility Week (May 28 to June 3).
The park features upgrades to playground equipment (including the addition of two accessible swing seats to the existing swing sets), additional picnic tables and benches, an accessible concrete path leading to the playground and new signage.
“The town is extremely happy about this project and partnership with Palgrave Rotary Club,” said Mayor Allan Thompson. “These renovations will make it easier for all visitors and residents to use the park and its facilities. It’s new projects like this, partnering with organizations and groups who have been part of Caledon’s growth for many years that makes the town an open, inclusive and accessible place to live.”
Combined contributions of $45,000 from the Town of Caledon and $40,000 from the Palgrave Rotary Club covered the $85,000 project cost.
The park is dedicated to Norma Bangay, to commemorate her contribution to children’s education in the local community. Bangay began teaching in 1959, at the one-room schoolhouse in Castlederg. Upon the closure of the school in 1962, she moved to Palgrave Public School where she taught kindergarten until her retirement in 1994. Bangay continued to volunteer at local schools well after retirement, working with young readers who needed extra attention. Well loved by students and the community, she had a positive and lasting influence on several generations of Palgrave students.
Visit Norma Bangay Park, 19 Brawton Drive in the Village of Palgrave.
Image courtesy of Palgrave Rotary Club.