On a night when the Mississauga Steelheads felt they deserved better, Barrie Colts goaltender Jet Greaves had a little larceny in mind.

The rookie goaltender kicked aside 50 shots in a stellar performance and helped Barrie come away with a 3-1 win over the Steelheads in OHL action, Feb. 2, at the Barrie Molson Centre.

The impressive showing against the Steelheads comes less than 24 hours later after a similar 51-save effort by Greaves in a 3-2 shootout loss to the London Knights.

Mississauga outshot Barrie 51-23, including 19-4 in the third period when they stormed the goaltender, but Greaves capped off a 101-save weekend with several big stops to help the Colts (21-25-2-1) hold on.

While James Richmond was none too happy after a lengthy video review allowed a first-period goal by Aidan Brown to stand despite the Colts forward appearing to be offside, the Mississauga general manager and head coach says Greaves simply stole this one from his club.

“That happens in hockey, right?,” he asked rhetorically of the rookie’s theft. “It was a hard-fought game. I was disappointed in a couple of plays down low for the two goals – because we’re not going to count the first one because we saw what happened on video – but their guy in net played well.

“I’ve been around the game too long to know that sometimes goalies steal games and their goalie was the first star, second star and third star.”

Greaves may have faced a ton of pucks the last two games, but for his part he says bring it on.

“I like it. It’s fine,” the 17-year-old said. “I like stopping pucks.”

With a little more than a quarter of the season left and the Colts looking to work their way back into the playoff picture in the Eastern Conference standings, Greaves knows every game is important.

“Every point is huge for us when the standings are this close,” he said. “Getting these three points in the last two games definitely helps.”

Down 2-0 heading into the final period, the Steelheads (23-21-5-1) finally got one past Greaves when Nick Isaacson pounced on a rebound in front to cut the lead in half at 11:54.

The Colts would come right back less than three minutes later, though, when Ryan Suzuki, who had a goal and two assists, found Sam Rhodes in front on a between the legs feed from behind the net.

Rhodes fired it over the right shoulder of Mississauga goaltender Jacob Ingham to give Barrie some breathing room.

“I liked our third period,” Richmond said. “We fought back and we got back in it, and then we gave the puck away for no reason at all. Suzuki’s going to make the play, he’s too good of a player. He made a great play out front and that happens in hockey.

“We’re going to win some that we don’t deserve to win and we’re going to lose some that we don’t deserve to lose. Tonight their goalie really stood on his head and our guys missed too many chances.”

The Steelheads had a great chance to jump on top in the first, but they failed to capitalize on three power-plays.

“Our power play has been good all year, pretty steady at 24 per cent,” said Richmond, whose club outshot Barrie in the first, 20-6. “We just weren’t sharp enough with our sticks and that cost us the game, but their goalie was the best penalty killer and he was the best player tonight.”


Photo: Rookie goaltender Jet Greaves made 50 saves to lead the Barrie Colts to a 3-1 win over the Mississauga Steelheads in OHL action, Feb. 2, at the Barrie Molson Centre. Terry Wilson/OHL Images

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share This